Posted: May 29, 2018
Doors will shut July 27.
For the first time since sexual harassment and assault claims were brought forth against chef Mario Batali, one of his restaurants is closing. Last week, B&B Hospitality Group (formerly called Batali & Bastianich), announced Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria — all located on the Las Vegas Strip — will shut their doors on July 27.
The news comes shortly after a 60 Minutes report brought forth more details of alleged sexual assault by Batali, as well as the NYPD's confirmation that an investigation into the claims had begun. A spokesperson for B&B Hospitality Group told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the decision to close the restaurants came before the interview aired.
In a letter to the nearly 300 employees affected by the closures, B&B partner Joe Bastianich (who confirmed Batali will no longer be part of the group as of July 1) wrote this: "These restaurants have continued to succeed, and they are a tribute to every one of you who works in them and brings great dining experiences to our guests. Unfortunately, our partner in these restaurants, Las Vegas Sands Corp., has decided to end our relationship."
Letter from Joe Bastianich Here
As of now, there are no plans for what will take over the three restaurant spaces. Bastianich said he is exploring the idea of future projects in Las Vegas, "but it will take some time to execute them." Employees were given the opportunity to apply for other open positions within the Las Vegas Sands company, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports, and Bastianich visited restaurants last week to talk to employees about transitioning to new positions.
Batali is still associated with more than a dozen restaurants around the country and internationally.
By Madison Flager
May 29, 2018
Go-Wine's mission is to organize food and beverage information and make it universally accessible and beneficial. These are the benefits of sharing your article in Go-Wine.com